Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 1 of Work

     Today was my first day at work.  It started out with getting my uniform, I was relieved to be wearing a black polo, although there aren't any bad uniforms that I've seen.  I also was given a sweatshirt and a rain jacket for the less predictable Alaskan weather.
     Next was an hour long reading of the manual... Boring!  It was pretty basic and stuff that I was either already told or about to be shown anyway.  After, I received a tour of the property and of the area I would be working in.  Then was dinner.  I have to admit its less than desirable fare, but it will probably help my diet!  It's your basic mass produced cafeteria food.  
     Finally after dinner I began training on my actual job, "fireside attendant".  The girl who has been covering my positions showed me the ropes: 
1. Light fire 
2. Wait for guests
3. Entertain guests (answer questions, spark up conversation, provide skewers for roasting marshmallows, and enjoy Alaska)
4. Put out fire when last guest leaves

     I've already come to the conclusion that I am going to be the most hated/envied workers, because do I not only have one of the easiest jobs, but two days off.  Which I always thought was standard, but I guess at resorts days off are like gold.  Oh well, all I did was ask and I was granted two days off a week. 
     If tonight was any indication of the rest of the summer I think it will be filled with laughs, stories, and lots of characters.  I met people from Australia, Africa, Canada, and of course the US!  




I will probably post every few days, or when I have a fun story to tell.  I will post picture blogs after I capture a good amount of new pictures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment